Follow the steps below:
1. Connect the device
The power supply may be either:
- A 2.5 Amp mains-to-USB adaptor (as supplied with the device).
- A 2.5 Amp USB socket on the screen itself.
IMPORTANT: The signage device may fail if a power source with a lower current rating is used.
2. Position the Device
The device should be positioned with some air-flow around it, away from other sources of heat.
- If the screen is mounted on a wall bracket, there will usually be space behind the screen.
- If the screen is mounted within an enclosure, the device should be positioned away from the enclosure to avoid excessive heat.
- Avoid stretching the cables or straining the connections.
- An HDMI extender cable may be necessary to allow more distance between the device and the screen.
3. Connect Ethernet (optional)
Your signage device needs to be connected to your network so that it can download signs and upload status information. You can choose between Ethernet (wired) or Wi-Fi (wireless) connections.
If you are going to use Ethernet, plug a network cable into the socket on the device. The other end should be connected to a network switch or router, as provided by your systems administrator.
Switch on power to the screen, and switch the screen on.
Switch on the mains-to-USB power adaptor (assuming you’re using one to power the signage device).
On the screen you should now see the output of the signage device. It shows the following in sequence:
- The Android ‘splash screen’
- The home page of the device
- The SignStix Player device registration page
The SignStix Player will now attempt to establish a network connection with the server and ask it for a unique device ID (if it hasn’t got one already).
5. Configure the Network
If you have Ethernet connected, you should see a tick next to ‘Connecting to Cloud’, and the device ID will be displayed on the screen. You can skip to step 6.
Alternatively, if you would like to use Wi-Fi, this can be configured with either:
- A smart device such as a mobile phone or tablet. This is convenient if the screen and the signage device have been located out of reach (e.g. high on a wall).
- A USB mouse plugged into the device or a SignStix remote control.
See below for details.
5(a) Configure Wi-Fi using a Smart Device (optional)
The basic idea is that the signage device will open up a temporary Wi-Fi hotspot that you can connect to with your smart device. You can then use your smart device to select the Wi-Fi network that you want the signage device to use longer-term.
Once the registration screen has determined that there is no existing Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection (this may take up to 30 seconds), it will show information about the temporary hotspot, similar to the following:
Connect smart device to DIRECT_uB-Android_9f90 with password XQICbZKR
Then browse to http://192.168.49.1:8080 to input WiFi settings
On your smart device, go to the Wi-Fi section of the Settings page, click on the network name (DIRECT_uB-Android_9f90 in this example) and enter the password (XQICbZKR in this example).
Still, on your smart device, open a web browser and enter the address (http://192.168.49.1:8080 in this example). You should see a SignStix Wi-Fi Configuration page. In the SSID menu, choose the network that you want the signage device to use, then enter the password for that network (ask your systems administrator if necessary) and press the Submit button.
Back on the signage screen, you should soon see a tick next to ‘Connecting to Cloud’, and the device ID will be displayed on the screen.
5(b) Configure Wi-Fi using a Mouse or a SignStix remote control (optional)
Plug your USB mouse into the signage device (if relevant), then do the following:
- Right-click the mouse (or click the back arrow button on the remote control) to escape from the registration screen and go to the SignStix Controls page (white background).
- Press the ‘Apps’ button on the Controls page.
- Open the app called ‘MXQSettings’ (or similar).
- Select ‘Wi-Fi’ (or ‘Networks’ then ‘Wi-Fi’).
- Select the network that you want the signage device to use.
- Enter the password for that network (ask your systems administrator if necessary) and attempt to connect.
- Navigate back to the Controls page then click ‘Registration’.
You should soon see a tick next to ‘Connecting to Cloud’, and the device ID will be displayed on the screen.
6. Register the Device
The final step is to register the device with your SignStix account. For this you will need your SignStix account information, and the device ID from the previous step.
- Using a computer, open a web browser and log into your SignStix account at http://cms.signstix.com.
- Click on ‘Devices’ in the navigation.
- Click the plus (+) button near the top.
- Enter the device ID exactly as shown on the signage screen.
- For the Description, choose a suitably informative name that will allow you to identify the device in future e.g. ‘Reception Left’.
- Click the ‘Register Device’ button then click ‘Close’.
Your new device should now appear in the list of Devices.
Meanwhile back on the signage screen, ticks should soon appear next to ‘Waiting for Registration’ and ‘Configuring’.
Within a couple of minutes, the screen should automatically start showing the default sign. Congratulations, your device is now set-up and showing signage!