Digital signage is a sub-segment of electronic signage. Digital displays use technologies such as LCD, LED and projection to display digital images, video, web pages, weather data, restaurant menus, or text. They can be found in public spaces, transportation systems, museums, stadiums, retail stores, hotels, restaurants and corporate buildings etc., to provide wayfinding, exhibitions, marketing and outdoor advertising. They are used as a network of electronic displays that are centrally managed and individually addressable for the display of text, animated or video messages for advertising, information, entertainment and merchandising to targeted audiences.
WHAT CAN DIGITAL SIGNAGE DO FOR YOUR BUSINESS?
Digital signage is a great opportunity to get creative and create truly engaging experiences for your target audience. The key to succeeding at this, is producing eye-catching and unique content.
The first crucial step is identifying the purpose and use of your content. We tend to separate these uses into three categories – inform, engage and converse.
INFORM – This type of digital signage content has the purpose of simply informing its audience, such as a health and safety notice in a corporate environment or a video of a new product.
ENGAGE – These campaigns tend to be data-driven, and automatically adapt based on specific triggers, such as a menu board showing different types of drinks depending on the weather outside.
CONVERSE – These digital signage experiences involve communicating with your IoT network and other devices to deliver a connected, experiential journey for customers, such as a ‘lift and learn’ experience.
BENEFITS OF USING DIGITAL SIGNAGE
While the idea of switching to digital signage can seem like a big project, once implemented it can reap countless rewards for all types of businesses, whether it be a retailer, a hotel, or a company using signs to communicate internal messages. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Content can be updated at the touch of a button (or automatically scheduled in advance) rather than re-printing paper signs for every new campaign.
- Great reach to the general public – digital signage in public venues reaches 70% of the public, and digital signage has a 52% recall rate*.
- Digital signage looks impressive and can help to modernise the image of a company or space.
- You can display an incredible variation of content at once – from news channels to social media feeds and photographs to videos.
- You can put everything you need onto the same screen, at the same time in one cohesive display.
- The experience of digital signage in a store can make consumers connect more positively with the brand providing that experience, such as lower perceived wait times in a queue when there is digital signage nearby to entertain waiting customers.
- It’s a cost-effective solution. Once the initial installation costs have been paid, retailers or business owners can get a return on investment by selling advertising space to companies/brands that will complement the store’s operations.
*data source: sixteen-nine.net